Ahrar: “12 Killed In First Quarter Of 2014, 1059 Kidnapped”
Wednesday April 02, 2014 08:41 by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC News
In a report published on April 1, 2014, the Ahrar Center for Detainees Studies and Human Rights has reported that Israeli soldiers have killed twelve Palestinians since the beginning of this year, kidnapped 364 in March, and 1059 since January first.
The center said that Israeli army fire and shells in the Gaza Strip killed six Palestinians, and six more were killed by Israeli military fire in the West Bank.
Palestinians killed In March:
1. Amna Qdeih, 57, from Khuza’a town, in southern Gaza; she was killed by Israeli army fire on March 1, 2014.
2. Mos’ab az-Za’anin, 21, killed on March 3 in an Israeli airstrike in Beit Hanoun, in the northern part of the Gaza Strip.
3. Sharif Nasser, 31, killed on March 3 in an Israeli airstrike in Beit Hanoun, in northern Gaza.
4. Ra’ed Zeitar, 37, a Palestinian judge from the northern West Bank city of Nablus; he worked as a judge in Jordan and was shot and killed at the al-Karama border terminal on March 10.
5. Saje Darwish, 18, was killed, on March 10, by army fire as he was heading to the family barn, close to the Givat Asaf illegal Israeli settlement, built on lands belonging to residents of Beiteen village, north of Ramallah. He was a student at the Media College in Birzeit University.
6. Ismael Abu Jouda, 23, member of the al-Quds brigades, the armed wing of the Islamic Jihad, killed on March 11, in an Israeli bombardment in southern Gaza.
7. Shaher Abu Shanab, member of the al-Quds brigades, the armed wing of the Islamic Jihad, killed on March 11, in an Israeli bombardment in southern Gaza.
8. Abdul-Shafy Mo’ammar, 33, member of the al-Quds brigades, the armed wing of the Islamic Jihad, killed on March 11, in an Israeli bombardment in southern Gaza.
9. Yousef Shawamra, 16, from Doura near Hebron, was killed by army fire near the Annexation Wall on March 19.
10. Jamal Abu al-Haija, 21, killed by army fire on March 22 in the Jenin refugee camp, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.
11. Mahmoud Abu Zeina, 27, killed by army fire on March 22 in the Jenin refugee camp.
12. Yazan Jabarin, 21, killed by army fire on March 22 in the Jenin refugee camp.
Palestinians kidnapped by the army in March:
A total of 364 kidnapped in the West Bank in March alone; 83 in Jerusalem, 81 in Hebron, 48 in Jenin, 46 in Bethlehem, 43 in Nablus, 17 in Qalqilia, 13 in Ramallah, 11 in Jericho, 8 in Tulkarem, and 8 in Salfit.
Six more Palestinians were kidnapped in the Gaza Strip, the center added.
As for the total number of arrests carried out by the army since the beginning of this year (three months), the Ahrar Center revealed that the soldiers kidnapped 1059 Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, occupied Jerusalem and the besieged Gaza Strip.
Former political prisoner, Fuad al-Khuffash, head of the Ahrar Center, stated that this number shows a significant increase in arrests comparing to last year as the army kidnapped 968 Palestinians in 2013.
Al-Khuffash said that most arrests were carried out in Hebron as the soldiers kidnapped 248 Palestinians, followed by Jerusalem (207 Palestinians), Nablus (148), Bethlehem (132), Jenin (114) Ramallah (68), Qalqilia (56), Gaza (26), Jericho (24), Tulkarem (23), Salfit (23), and 1 Palestinian in Tubas.
Al-Khuffash added that the army kidnapped 17 Palestinian women since the beginning of this year; the youngest of the kidnapped women are Deema Sawahra, 16, and Hanin Abu al-Hummus, 18.
One of the kidnapped women, identified as Nawal Obeyyat, from Bethlehem, is a cancer patient and requires specialized medical attention.
Al-Khuffash stated that the army conducts daily arrests, assaults and violations against the Palestinian people, their lands and property, and that the soldiers carry out frequent arrests at roadblocks and border terminals, as part of Israel’s violations of International Law and the Fourth Geneva Convention.